The Stop

"I spit that uptown-body-rock-rolley-hop, and will a nigga ever shut me down? prolly not. Cause ever since I was a young lad I crushed emcees, kickin' ass takin' names at the trolley stop."

- Jay Electronica

Saturday, September 27, 2008

"B-boy for life so fuck the suit and a tie"

People Under The Stairs have been on the scene for 10 years now, and have left their imprint in underground hip hop no doubt. The P have put out 5 albums so far, and are going for their 6th dropping this Tuesday. These cats have a distinctive style that no other artist can capture. Their albums have that laid back, cool out and listen feeling. Perfect to listen to for a variety of situations. Every time I hit shuffle on my iPod, and one of their songs come up, I get excited and break my neck to their unsurpassed beats and well written lyrics. You can really hear the passion they put into their music as well as the fun they have making it.

If you were to ask me, I would tell you that these cats are the embodiment of hip hop; every rappers dream. Lyrically, they have never spit a wack bar. Every track they put out is chock full of lyrics that flow and rhyme impeccably. Along with their godly ability for writing, they also have talent in making beats, especially Thes One, who has perfected the art of beat making. Their beats are self synthesized, and consist of heavy snare, ear popping bass, reminiscent samples, and the occasional scratching.

Honestly it's pretty hard to sit here and try to analyze their music, even if I am a huge fan. I'm genuinely at a loss for words for this duo...all I can say is listen to their music and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Man Im glad there is another "P" head out there reppin' them.. I have been doing my due diligence in trying to get the good word out about PUTs-- And FUN DMC is something to behold-- Ive had the pleasure of meeting these fellas 3 times, and kicking it with them before and after the show and they are as down to earth as the next man-- up the lovely post- Edouble