The Stop

"I spit that uptown-body-rock-rolley-hop, and will a nigga ever shut me down? prolly not. Cause ever since I was a young lad I crushed emcees, kickin' ass takin' names at the trolley stop."

- Jay Electronica

Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Rap"



Now I'm not black, but this is the truth. Today "rap" isn't what it used to be, or more over, what it SHOULD be. I feel that what I listen to, and what I am promoting on this blog, is not "rap" it is Hip Hop, a totally different genre; a genre with meaning. This video explains what today's world thinks all Hip Hop is. Lupe Fiasco, a guest on this segment, explains that "Rap" is not Hip Hop. "Rap" is the executive version of Hip Hop, the version that speaks only of money, cars, rims, women, sex, and drugs. That is what sells, and that is why Hip Hop is deplored by so many. Watch this video and you'll see what I am talking about.

This post is for those who are so closed minded, and think that Hip Hop is Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, Jim Jones, etc. THAT my friends, is not Hip Hop. If you have any thoughts on this, I'd like to her them, just drop a comment on this post, or drop them in the chat box.

"Where you at? c'mon where you at? This is the different between emceeing and rap, Rappers spit rhymes that are mostly illegal, Emcees spit rhymes to uplift their people, peace, love, unity, having fun, these are the lyrics of KRS-One!"

-KRS-One

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully disagree with you there.

Hip-Hop is doing great right now and not only are old and new artists poppin off with hits regularly.

Rap is what you say, hip-hop is the culture. They go hand in hand. And there is nothing wrong with wanting or enjoying money, women, and drugs (to some extent). That is human. Are you not?

Some of the best hip-hop artists out there lyrically are hands down the following!

This is why the sell!

Not because of subjects they talk about, but because they are good lyricist.

My Top Ten:
Tupac Shakur, T.I., U.G.K., Jay-Z, Kanye West, Outkast, Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Mobb Deep, Wu-Tang.

And don't even start to say the 2Pac was not hip-hop. He was a prophet.

And Lil Wayne can spit serious fire about all sorts of topics that obviously the rest of the world can't hang with, i.e. 2nd Top Selling Artist currently.

That has nothing to do with the topics he raps about, but has everything to do with talent. That IS Hip-Hop.

People need to stop b!xch!ng about "the state" of hip-hop.

open your ears!

Jay Santos said...

Seems like Optimus has sparked a little debate in you Steel-bars crew. I don't necessarily agree with your opinion, but you put up a good argument which is what this is all about, getting opinions out and letting your voice be heard. good shit