The Stop

"I spit that uptown-body-rock-rolley-hop, and will a nigga ever shut me down? prolly not. Cause ever since I was a young lad I crushed emcees, kickin' ass takin' names at the trolley stop."

- Jay Electronica

Monday, August 4, 2008

Rock The Bells: Miami 8/2/08 Pt. 2

Alright guys, so here's the second part of my Rock The Bells review...

After Dead Prez, that's when it started to get good. Now don't get me wrong, I love De La Soul as much as the next man, but I didn't expect them to rock the show the way they did. They started out slowly, getting into songs like a CD on random. Then, without warning, they brought out Drez of The Black Sheep! They did a few songs together such as "Stakes Are High" and "Super Emcees", and then there was a long pause to build suspension, and that's when the beat for "The Choice Is Yours" dropped. At first the crowd didn't really know what was going on, Drez kept crouching and reciting a certain verse, and Maseo ended up rewinding the track back 3 times. Drez showed us what to do, so the whole audience got down, the beat dropped, and we all recited that famous verse: "Engine Engine number 9, on the New York transit line, if my train goes off the track, pick it up, pick it up, pick it up!" And the whole crowded jumped up and went wild! Hands down De La was one of the best acts in the show.

It must have been hard to go on after the De La Soul set, but Raekwon and Ghostface had no choice. They took a little while to come on, but when they did they came with some heat. They performed off Raekwons album Only Built 4 Cuban Linx. To tell you the truth their set didn't really impress me too much (although it did make me want to listen to the album when I got home), it must have been because of the De La performance, but they did alright.

Up next was the one and only Mos Def! Did he rock the crowd as expected? Mos Definitely not. I was kind of dissapointed with his set, but I still love his music! Though, he did get a positive reaction out of the crowd when "Definition" and "Respiration" dropped. Blackstar is one of the best duo's in Hip-Hop ever. I guess the whole controversy with his ex-wife had taken a toll on his performance, but I'm not going to lie, It wasn't very great (sorry Mos). They should have brought Talib on tour with them to perform as Blackstar. He ended it pretty well though, with his hit "Traveling Man".

The Pharcyde picked up the show after Mos Def's set. Now this is the first time in years that all the members of The Pharcyde have come together on one stage. Performing off their classic albums Bizzare Ride II The Pharcyde and Labcabincalifornia they rocked the crowd. They made their enterance with their number one track Runnin, and one by one, recited hits such as Drop, Ya Mama, Oh Shit, and Pack The Pipe. Man everyone went insane when Runnin' came on, and I personally went nuts when Drop came on (my favorite song from them). I'm glad I got to see who some call the pioneers of west coast hip hop live. As a matter of fact I've been listening to their albums non stop since then.

Stay tuned for the next post...

Keep rockin fresh,

Optimus

No comments: